The Wells Cathedral Sanctuary is the large impressive space East of the Nave and is usually home to the main Altar and the beautiful contemporary Cathedral Choir stalls. At the far end is the famous Scissor arches put in place. The arches which visitors image to be a modern addition were in fact constructed between 1348 – 48 as a solution to an engineering problem. The foundations of the High tower, constructed in 1313, were not stable and Master Mason William Joy put the scissor arches in place as a final solution to the problem. In 2018 the Sanctuary hosted Antic Disposition’s production of Henry V.
- There were no results found.